Can Seamer

About Us: Forums General Chat Can Seamer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chasjs
    Participant

Last meeting (thank you for hosting Andrew) the subject was brought up of of a club purchase of a can seamer by Aaron and Colter. I was posting to see if this was actually going to go somewhere or if is was just rambling of drunken minds.

As someone who is always looking at throwing money into the rathole of this hobby, I am definitely interested. I have no real need for a can seamer but what the heck.

So I am nudging the instigators to move forward (or drop it).

There are issues to work out like – how are we going to pay for maintenance? And rental rate for people who do not participate in the purchase? Who will manage it?

I will say I am will to go in for up to $100.

RyanP
    Keymaster

Someone in that neighborhood might be ideal, it’s so centrally located (Cody, Charles, Aaron, Colter, Robin, Evan all live in that neighborhood at least).

I’d be up for doing up to $100 too.

I think it was mentioned that the Oktober is the best value/options for us, but we should look into that.

We have a lot of handy people in the club, do you know what maintenance is required?

Maybe just everyone interested pays an equal share and then figure out something fair for future users to pay to use it (whoever puts in the share can have their say/vote on it or something?).

Just spitballing here.

I’m pretty sure I can get us cans around half the price that they sell them to homebrewers for online. I think breweries get them for around 20 cents a can (they’re like 55-60 cents a can on morebeer for example).

chasjs
    Participant

I have no idea about maintenance, but things happen. Suggest some reserve if parts are needed.

gozer
    Participant

I’ll throw down up to $100 also. And can ‘host’ the canner if necessary; I’m usually around and can clear off the brew table when anyone wants to come over and package their stuff.

20 cents a can or so sounds good. And cheaper than Miller Lite cans. But do they come filled with American Macro Lager though? Just asking questions.

Charles Bland | BJCP project | On Tap

evan.sherlock
    Keymaster

I am more than happy to throw down $100, as well as offer up a home for it to live at. As I am sure that there is a big difference in consumer grade vs. commercial grade, I am thinking comparing this to cheap grain mills that last a few years and more expensive mills that tend to get much heavier use and constantly perform due to higher build specifications. I am looking for guidance as far as brands go, would entertain if we look in used markets for a product like this. If the price gets high I could throw more I to it.

Granted, this all comes from a guy that just buys expensive homebrewing equipment just to gaze at the shiny stainless.

chasjs
    Participant

Evan:

I think Colter and Aaron were doing some research into brands. My own research has shown 3 brands on the homebrew scale – Oktober, All-American, and Cannular. Of those 3, Oktober makes a homebrew version for about $879 which seems to be sturdier than the Cannular according to a couple of Youtube reviews. All-American seems to be sturdy but is all manual at a $800 price point.

Maybe someone has some first hand knowledge of pros and cons.

abandler
    Participant

Cue the French ladies in frilly dresses (can-can)

chasjs
    Participant

Aaron:

How did you fill the can? Did you use a beer gun?

abandler
    Participant

I have the tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler, and I bought the canning attachments for it. It’s pretty slick!

abandler
    Participant

Chuck, are you gonna be there tomorrow? I want to set the precedent that can seamer shareholders get a can or two off of each run. I figure guys like Gordon (and Evan) will probably never use it, but may as well get some beer for their investment.

abandler
    Participant

Nevermind I just got my covid test result back…see you guys in a CDC-approved amount of time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.